Souls of the Damned

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Souls of the Damned

Post by Batsu on Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:16 pm

He felt her looking at him, but it didn't make him uneasy that she did not understand this life he lived. He didn't chose this life, it was chosen for him and there was nothing anyone could do to change it. Acceptance was easier than denial. "Being given orders is all I know. If I am not under orders, I am simply wondering with no set destination." How could he explain it to her so that she could understand it. There was probably now way for him to do as much. She had not walked the path he had. He leaned back against the edge and closed his eyes. The warm water was relaxing, even if he hadn't been tense to begin with. "I to have a purpose is more meaningful than existing without cause." He looked to the brown haired woman beside him. Xen didn't usually ask questions, but, "What is your purpose."

"The white soul can't protect you forever and the Flower will soon wither. The dragon knows the truth, and when the spirit of the water strikes it deal, darkness will rise and humanity will weep." ~Uriyuu
Batsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cross on Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:36 am

Wandering with no set destination. It was actually pretty similar to what she'd been doing lately. Felix was dead. Kymin...was dead to her. Her parents were long since dead, both to the world, and to her. She had no one but Azazeal. Kana's gaze turned downwards to the water. She had no purpose. She had no reason for existing. But for some reason or another, she still had the will to live. When she thought about it, maybe she did understand Xen afterall. At least...a little bit. When he asked what her purpose was, she wondered if being under the thumb of others had for whatever reason granted him the power to read minds. Kana didn't look at him. "I don't have one." She just existed. She just...wandered. Going with whatever she felt at the time. If she felt angry, she destroyed. If she felt sad, she isolated herself from everything. But never cried. The last time she'd done something like that, she'd been on that stupid mission with Felix. Kana gave a small sigh. Maybe it would be better to try to find some kind of purpose. Maybe it would stabilize the Madness. Maybe, if only for a short time, it would shut the Blue Demon up. Or maybe she would just end up destroying things again.
Cross
Admin

View user profile http://ferenityforums.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Batsu on Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:27 pm

Xen looked at her when she said she had no purpose. What was existence without a purpose. What was the use of living if one could not be utilized. She had power and skills, yet she didn't use them. His brown eyes looked her over. Within her was madness, but she could stop it. She could take back her life, but why should she when there was no one left. Xen sat up, the water running off his skin, revealing the multiple tattoos that had been hidden by his clothing. He lifted his left hand from the water. There was no threat, else he would have said something. He listened to the vibrations on the soft breeze, the soft lapping of the water against the edge of the spring, and the rustling of the leaves. He slowly amplified those sounds until they were soft and clear. They were easy for him to hear as they were because he could feel them, but he wanted to share with Kana. Perhaps she would feel better if she could truly relax. It was like music, but a natural music brought on by the gift of nature.

"The white soul can't protect you forever and the Flower will soon wither. The dragon knows the truth, and when the spirit of the water strikes it deal, darkness will rise and humanity will weep." ~Uriyuu
Batsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cross on Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:02 pm

Kana glanced over to Xen when he shifted. Was he going to leave now? No, he'd only sat up and stretched out his hand. Was something wrong? Azazeal would have told her if there was, or would have taken care of it. Kana's eyes saw his tattoos, and she couldn't help but to wonder what they all meant. Were they from his days as a warrior, or had somebody branded him with them? Brown eyes slowly blinked when Kana started hearing...wait, what was that? Wind...water...trees...she could even hear the flickering of the flames on the torches that lit the area around them. She looked to Xen. Had he done this? It was...nice. The sounds were calming. Was this what he'd meant when he said he liked 'natural' sounds? Kana sunk lower into the water and turned her head away from Xen. It was nice, but the Madness inside her wanted to destroy it. It was no wonder there was so little of anything natural left in the world. Kana took a breath and let it out slowly, pushing the thoughts away. "Did you..." She wanted to ask if he'd done this, but she wasn't sure exactly what 'this' was. "Is this how you always hear things?" she asked quietly, without looking at him.
Cross
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Batsu on Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:24 pm

The amplified sound was much louder for Xen, but it didn't bother him. It helped to relax him, more than he already was. He noticed that Kana was relaxing as well. She had received the gift he'd offered. When she addressed him, Xen nodded lightly. "Yes." He'd been clairvoyant since he was young, but being able to utilize the vibrations of sounds had taken dedication and hard work. Maybe it had been an untapped skill until he was properly trained, or maybe it was the modifications that had caused him to learn such techniques. Xen was trained to kill, but he used his skills for more than that, like now.

Batsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cross on Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:36 pm

"This is nice," she told him lightly. Kana closed her eyes again and let herself relax in the water. Those sounds were weird though. They both spurred the Madness on, and kept it at bay at the same time. After a while, Kana spoke again, even though she felt close to falling asleep. Those sounds were relaxing in a lullaby kind of way. "Hey Xen...what do your tattoos mean?"
Cross
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Batsu on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:22 am

Xen silently wished there were more natural sounds. If the world was as alive as it had been nearly a century ago, things would be different. Then Kana could hear bird song, the hum of crickets, and the whispers on the wind. She asked about the meaning of his tattoos, and he looked at his arms. No one had ever inquired about the ink on his skin. Most only complimented the designs or criticized him for them. "The wolf," he began, "is a powerful creature. It is strong alone, but stronger in a pack. It signifies strength." Xen had encountered only one wolf in his lifetime, but he had never forgotten the beauty and strength of the creature. "The dragon was once considered a myth, a creature of legend, but it exists in this world. Their breed is rare, as are immortals." His brown gaze rested on the nine tailed beast with red eyes. "The beast of nine tails is for Ava. I was the ninth servant, and this is her mark." Others had bared the same, but those before him had less tells, and those after him, had more. "The two heads represent dominance, master and servant." The last two were of a koi fish and finally something in Arabic. "I wanted these two. The Koi fish represents the many possibilities that life may offer, and in Arabic is my name." He often forgot it when there were long spans of time where he didn't speak with others.

This was possibly the most he'd spoken in some time, but he always spoke when he was spoken to. It opened the door to a possibility of being of use. He lifted his right arm. "Ava wished for this as well. The reaper signifies death. I was trained to end life, and she utilized me in such a way that I fulfilled my original purpose." Xen spoke as if he wasn't bothered by the many lives he'd taken. His gentle demeanor was a strict contrast to the violence he was capable of delivering. "The tribal designs were of my own wanting. They have no meaning." He'd already been heavily inked by the time he'd received them, he'd only wanted to cover the rest of his arm. On his back were black angel wings. "The wings represent a calm before the storm. I was bred to kill, but I am capable of sparing life. I am balanced." Then there were the Arabic words that ran up the side of his neck. "This was given to me by the first as a reminder of where I am from. The words translate to soldier." It was a reminder of who and what he was.

Last edited by Batsu on Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Batsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cross on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:33 am

Kana looked at each tattoo as he described them. It was both strange and fascinating to hear him talk so much without any interruptions. It was almost as peaceful as the natural sounds he'd amplified for her. She liked his tattoos, too. With the exception of the tribal markings, each one had their own meaning. "What about the wolf, dragon, and the wings? Did you get those on your own, or were they given to you by someone you served?" she asked. Now she wondered...maybe she should get a tattoo. She had no idea what she would get, though...It wasn't a bad idea, she just had to put some thought into it. Whatever she got inked onto her skin would be there forever, after all... "They're all...very beautiful, for lack of a better word," she told him lightly.
Cross
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Batsu on Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:35 pm

Xen looked at his left arm. "Many years have passed, since my encounter with the wolf," he began. "It becomes a vague memory with time. I wish not to forget all things." Tattoos were permanent, he was permanent, and there were things he wanted to remember, even when the other memories faded in the sands of time. She also wanted to know about his dragon and wings. Xen had to think about it. Had someone given him these, or were they by choice? So many distance memories, all of which were heavily faded. He looked down at the water, his dark brown gaze staring into the reflection of the water. "I don't remember why or when I got the dragon," he told her after a moment. He remembered it's purpose, but nothing more than that. As for his wings, "When I was still a soldier, the wings were given to me as a gift." This memory was vague as well. "I drove my blade through the heart of the man of who gave me this," he said absently, but without remorse. "I had to remain under his watch for a long time, but he always knew what I planned to do. I gave him death when he could no longer go on." She called them beautiful, he would agree. "Thank you."

Batsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cross on Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:55 pm

So he'd gotten the wolf as a reminder of an encounter with one. That was interesting. She wondered...were there any encounters that she'd had that she didn't want to forget? A moment of thought passed in her mind. No. She was okay with having forgotten everything up until now. There was nothing she wanted to remember. There had been so many horrible things in her life, and anything that had been good only reminded her of the bad. Like her times training with her squad. It had been hard, but she had loved it. But it reminded her of Felix. And Tamero. And Renji. And what had happened with Renji, and Felix. "What do you mean by 'when he could no longer go on'?" she asked, looking over at him curiously.
Cross
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Batsu on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:02 pm

"There are two things that we are guaranteed, life and death," he explained. "I had been sent to kill him, but he was already dying. I let him wrap up his affairs and 'served' under him until he wished for the end. I never disobey my orders, and my loyalty is never divided, but I was given no time line, just the order to kill." Xen could be a ruthless killer, or he could be like he was now, calm and unmoved by the unsettling things around him. Either way, he had gotten the job done and a permanent memory to define the balance of his life.

Batsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cross on Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:58 pm

Kana nodded lightly. That was understandable. It was kind of admirable that Xen bent the rules like that without actually bending the rules in any way. When ninja are sent on assassination missions, it was always assumed that the target was to be eliminated as soon as possible. Nobody ever questioned it. "Xen, do you have any...good memories? Or memories that you're fond of? From serving under others, I mean." She was curious. He never desired anything, but he occasionally enjoyed things. She wondered if he had any memories of the things he'd enjoyed.
Cross
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Batsu on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:24 pm

The inky haired male looked over his shoulder at Kana when she asked him about good memories. He had no reasons to linger onto the past. Fond memories didn't exactly exist. What could be fond about doing a job. He didn't resent or detest any of those who had utilized his skills, regardless of the varying treatment. If he were being honest, then the answer was no. "My memories fade over time, so I do not have fond memories of anything." He sometimes remembered some more than others, like Ava, but it varied. Xen didn't even consider trying to gather fond memories. Anyone else would have, but Xen didn't act on impulse or without reason. Usually he had to be told what to do.

Last edited by Batsu on Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Batsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cross on Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:20 am

"...so you don't remember any of your employers, or the things they had you do?" Oh well. It would have at least made for good conversation. Maybe it really was too much to ask for a traveling companion that was only just talkative enough to not piss her off. Okay, yeah, that was way too much to ask for. Kana leaned back in the spring, letting herself sink further into the water. "Hm..." She gave a light chuckle. "'s been a while since I've gone this long without something catastrophic happening. Maybe I used up all my bad luck yesterday," she mused quietly. Yeah, or maybe it was because she no longer had Kyla's essence in her. To Kana, that made loads more sense.
Cross
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Batsu on Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:25 am

"Some more than others," he answered. "The more recent employers," he answered. "Or those who I stayed with longest." It was possible he couldn't truly comprehend what it meant to have good memories. From childhood until now he'd been trained to do what he was told without question. He was to execute all commands with precision. There was no will to do things freely. He questioned nothing. Curiosity was non-existent. He was like currency, he could be used for whatever, exchanged for whatever, lost or forgotten, and then found again. She spoke of not destroying things. Xen was quiet for a moment. "Is it easier," he asked. He was referring to her not being destructive. He wasn't asking if she preferred it this way, but rather if she could focus more.

Batsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cross on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:36 pm

Kana wondered...did he consider her an employer? She wasn't really. She wasn't paying him anything, and she didn't really feel all that comfortable ordering him around. If anything, she felt like she owed him for taking out Kyla's essence. Though she doubted he'd accept anything like that. Could she repay him by using him? That...seemed wrong to her. She'd never had to use another human being. Az didn't count because he wasn't human, and they had a deal standing. Her and Xen did not. Maybe...they could find some kind of deal? The only problem with that was that he didn't seem to want anything. How could you make a deal with someone who wanted nothing? "Easier?..." Kana fell quiet for a few moments. What did he mean, easier? "It's definitely...more peaceful, without Kyla in my head," she said lightly. "The, erm...urge, to destroy things it still there, but there's not anything really trying to convince me anymore." The Blue Demon had been relatively quiet since that witch's essence had been removed. "Do you ever have any impulses to do anything? Like...when you...did whatever it was you did, with the sounds. You made them louder. No one told you to. So...why?"
Cross
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Batsu on Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:16 pm

That's what he'd thought. He hadn't had Kyla's essence in him for a very long time, but he'd noticed the change immediately. His temperament had been restored to normal and he didn't have the impulse to feel, 'alive'. If he were to explain it, Kyla's essence had made him act in a manner that was less calm and rational and more destructive and unpredictable. He'd briefly enjoyed the feel, but the excitement had died rather quickly. He'd killed for many people, but his balance had begun to deteriorate with the immortal witch, and the prospect of madness being introduced into his system was even less appealing. Kyla had always thought he was easy to control, but he'd proven otherwise when he'd ripped out her essence in front of her and walked out despite her threats. "It was quiet." He looked down at the water.

Batsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cross on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:52 am

Kana was quiet at Xen's response. Simply because it had been quiet..? Not quite what she'd been hoping for. Not quite what she'd been expecting, either. She didn't know what she'd been expecting, exactly, but it hadn't really been that. The brown haired female looked at the male when he gazed down at the water and for a few moments said nothing at all. "Look at me," she said suddenly. There were a few moments where she just studied his face before speaking again, her 'commands' short and simple. "Smile."
Cross
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Batsu on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:13 pm

Xen was looking at his reflection. What he saw was simply a man. He lacked a conscious, so he didn't consider the details of who he and what he was, whether it be internally or externally. He couldn't see a man who often had internal conflict when it came to decisions. A man who took pleasure in nothing, who rarely felt pain, and only desired to be used. Those who were worthy enough to command him practically breath life into him. Kana had done as much when she'd asked him to join her in the fight. Xen had relished that moment, but not because he enjoyed the violence, but because it had been a long time since he'd been able to display what he was capable of. She told him to look at her, and his dark brown gaze shifted to meet her gaze. When she told him to smile, Xen did as much, but it was a small smile that lacked any visible teeth. He didn't ask her why she wanted him to smile, for he never disobeyed an order. It did however give him a strange sensation. His facial expressions usually remained neutral, so little things like frowning or smiling felt a bit forced...or strained.

Batsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cross on Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:00 am

For a few moments after Xen smiled, Kana just studied his face. She finally sighed though, and relaxed in the water again. "Well, now I know what your fake smile looks like. You can stop smiling." That was really all she'd wanted. To know what a false smile looked like on him. He said he had no desires or anything like that, but she still had hope that maybe she could catch him giving a genuine smile about something at some point in time. For someone who'd given up on humanity, she sure liked holding onto the hope that there was good in the world.
Cross
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Batsu on Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:48 pm

Xen wasn't sure what she had expected, but when she spoke, he simply nodded before the smile melted away and his gaze was once more fixed on the water. For a moment he didn't move, but eventually he seemed to relax, the sounds dying down until they were too faint to hear. Despite being able to move around and function normally, he wasn't back to a hundred percent. Yesterday he'd removed Kyla's essence from Kana, and today he could still feel those effects. He did not regret his decision and if asked, he'd do it again. Kyla was not his enemy, but she no longer commanded him. It must be difficult knowing that every last immortal would turn against her, one by one. She was losing her grip on all things, and he could take it all away and make her nothing more than a memory. Perhaps she would send the others to hunt him down before they could learn of what he was capable of, or maybe she would find some way to sway Kana into ending his existence. He did not fear death, nor did he find peace in the thought. Whatever the case, Kyla would not allow him to continuously get in the way of her master plans. Xen had been staring into the water as these thoughts came and went, his expression as placid as the water, but his brown gaze shifted moments before two ladies stepped out, the same ones from before. "We're just checking in on you all, is there anything we can get you," one asked sweetly. "Perhaps that tea from earlier?"

Batsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cross on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:27 pm

Kana wondered if the sounds dying out meant that Xen was just too tired to care about the sounds, or if he was actually relaxing. She wondered if he was actually ever even tense at all. Or maybe he was tense all the time. On the outer fence farthest from where her and Xen were sitting landed a black crow. It perched and ruffled its wings before settling with its gaze away from the two. Kana nearly glared at it. Wasn't he supposed to be watching the horses or something? She blinked though, when she saw the thing turn to her and saw black eyes instead of white. It wasn't Azazeal. It was...just a normal crow. Why was she getting so paranoid about having Az around? She knew what he wanted, so...Kana jumped when she heard one of the ladies from before speak to them. Her hand had instinctively reached to her side before she remembered she was lacking all her weapons. And the pain in her stomach jolted back to the forefront of her mind and she put a hand on Xen's shoulder as if to steady herself even though she was sitting. It was actually mostly to keep herself from doubling over so much that her face would've ended up in the water. "Urgh...ugh...y-yeah...t-tea sounds good," she mumbled, her hand still on Xen's shoulder as she tried to straighten out. God but her stomach hurt now.
Cross
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Batsu on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:05 pm

He seemed lost to the things around him, only coming back to the present when Kana took hold of his shoulder for support. The black haired male looked to her. Her expression read that she was in pain and her tone said as much. When the women had left, Xen turned to Kana, facing her. He put either hand on her sides to steady her. "Breath in slowly, and release slowly." His brown eyes were unreadable. Xen hadn't been given an order to help her relax, but he still had a mind to think. It just took some prompting sometimes. That and maybe Kyla's magic was taking it's toll on him.

Batsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cross on Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:17 am

Kana's brown eyes turned slowly towards Xen when he placed his hands on her sides, swallowing lightly. It was hard not to shake with the pain that was coursing through her midsection. And of course, that only made the pain worse. Made it kind of hard to focus on things like breathing properly. So when Xen spoke to her...well it would be a lie to say that it wasn't helping. Her hand was still on his shoulder, her grip much tighter than it normally would have been. It loosened though, when she started getting her breathing under control. In slowly. And out slowly. In slowly. And out slowly...After a few long moments of this, Kana slowly straightened up, swallowing and leaning back, her eyes suddenly tired as she let go of Xen's shoulder. She felt drained. "...thank you," she said slowly. Her voice was shaky. "I'm...fine now," she assured him. She wasn't. It was a blatant lie to a person who probably couldn't care one way or the other. Why she was lying to him, she had no idea. Maybe she was saying it in case the women came back as she said it. So they didn't start a fuss. Honestly, she wasn't sure. But...she noticed...for once Xen had acted without an order. Maybe there was hope for him after all.
Cross
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Batsu on Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:31 am

The pressure on his shoulder didn't bother him, because it was just that, pressure. As Kana regained control over herself, he could feel the grip loosening. He waited until she had straightened herself upright and then backed off as she told that she was fine. He had no reason to question it. He had stood up when he'd helped to steady her, but he slowly sat back down, the distance between them was close enough that Kana could reach out to him if needed, but far enough to give her space. The way he acted was as though that little event had not just occurred. He'd resumed his natural state of calmness, almost like a wallflower. The two women came back with two cups of tea and a few finger foods. "Here you go," one said with a smile, setting the plate between them. It was obvious that she was trying to catch Xen's attention, but he hadn't taken notice of her. At least, not visibly, but he'd heard her come in, tracking the light vibrations of her steps. Xen could have been completely blind and still able to fully function. The woman looked slightly disappointed. "I also brought out some finger foods," she offered. "I hope you both enjoy." She offered her best smile and then stood up and walked away with her coworker next to her. Xen remained unmoving. His gaze wasn't focused on any one thing, so it was easy to claim he was daydreaming, but he wasn't. He was testing how far he could stretch his senses. He was currently limited to a small distance, but it was enough to detect immediate danger. It would take time to get back to his normal radius, but he wasn't defenseless. His calm demeanor could fool anyone, but he was a weapon. He would always be a weapon. He lacked a conscious, the normal human desire, and lived only to be commanded. Xen felt nothing, whether it was physically or emotionally. This was what made him dangerous. That was proof enough during the fight yesterday where he'd torn apart that creature with his bare hands. In that brief moment, Xen had sparked to life, but once more he was dormant, almost like a machine.

Batsu

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top